Woodblock image transfer using Xylene thinners - TEST

Trial run at transferring image on to another surface.

So I've put the image into Photoshop, made it B&W line art, sized it the same size as my woodblock, and printed it out with registration marks in place. I've then taken the woodblock and cut out a piece of cardboard from an old laundry powder box so I've got an item to practice on. 

Woodblock, dummy woodblock (i.e. piece of card), and print out.
 Next up, I've put the print out on to my piece of card so that it sits flush with the edges. As I'm going to use Xylene to do the transfer, I've put down an old carrier bag in case of splashes. At this stage I've no idea what Xylene is capable of, but the fact that's used as thinners suggests a fairy enthusiastic response to dissolving my desk.

Really interesting photo of a piece of paper on a piece of cardboard.
 Brushing on some Xylene. It stinks. But it works a treat. It needs a few brushes, but nothing to vigourous.

Applying Xylene to the print out.
And here we go. The printout is covered in Xylene and you can see through very clearly. The image has transferred nicely on to the piece of card.

Printout has become transparent.
The moment of truth - yes it's worked!

Revealing the print on a woodblock.
 Issues to contend with next time. Firstly, as advised in earlier blog posts, I should have left the ink to dry for 24 hours before trying the transfer. Well, I assume that's the case, as it smudged a bit. It also shifted a little when I was brushing, and this whole process is based on accurate alignment, I'd suggest to myself that that's an issue that needs remedying.

Printout out and printed card.

Comments