Starting to carve my first woodblock

Transferring the image on to the woodblock.

After my trial run, I figured that ensuring the image remained stable on the block was of (natural) paramount importance. So I selected a few areas that were going to be dug out and pinned the printout to the woodblock with some pins. Worked a treat. Next up, a wash of xylene.
Print out pinned to the woodblock. Xylene brushed over it.
Hmmm. An issue. I read that it was important to leave the print out for 24 hours. I didn't. And it leeched everywhere. This isn't so much of an issue as it's all loose lines and the dominant lines were still in place, but definitely something to be aware of. Seems that the print out spread more when I brushed it, which I wasn't anticipating as I assumed the brushing would help push the transfer through. 

The print transferred (vaguely) successfully.


Starting the cutting at last!

First cuts! And off we go.
Chip chip chip chip.

First cuts with various tools and gouges.

Discoveries and observations.

I've very quickly come to the conclusion that cutting stuff out the traditional way is a thankless task and offers me very little enjoyment. I was kind of expecting that from having tried before. Luckily I've got all my lino cutting tools which are virtually the same as the Japanese tools, and they offer far greater maneuverability for me and are much more enjoyable to use.

As the wood is a composite plywood, I very quickly discovered that pieces that abut up next to each other can have different densities. This means that they cut slightly differently and pushing a gouge through one into another can mean it goes really quickly to suddenly really slowly. Or you may discover that you need to put in extra effort all of a sudden, which could have disastrous consequences if you find yourself accidentally speeding up next to an important line - SCREAM!!!

Most of the tree cut out.

Work in progress.

This is a couple of evenings later. It's a slow process. But! It's starting to look great and I'm very pleased.


Comments